UPP is a hybrid solution for blockchain interoperability, ready for practical applications.
A semi-decentralized way of holding and trading diverse tokens that will appeal to the general public not keen on working with private keys and to businesses that need insured custody.
Universal Protocol Alliance: About the Platform
After the initial news about capital backing of UPP got out, in mid August 2018 Universal Protocol team finally provided a one-pager (litepaper). Copy is linked from this document.
This allows us to compare the UP Platform solution to the currently most high-profile interoperability technology provided by Polkadot:
- Annotated Polkadot whitepaper via LINER
Universal Protocol vs Polkadot
Universal Protocol aims to use the Ethereum blockchain to store value and business logic for any cryptoasset, where the underlying token is held by a custodian. UPP primarily focuses on transfer of value, which is its simplest application and requires very little customization: Essentially, tokens of UPP (Proxy tokens) are issued as a representation for stored assets in the custody.
All transactions are triggered via the UP network and get translated in real time into the underlying blockchain in a transparent auditable way.
This is similar to the IOU model of Tether, an additional functionality provided by the features of Ethereum blockchain is the possible addition of more complex business logic.
The UPP solution is a hybrid, not entirely decentralized but again, thanks to the Ethereum blockchain the integration of Proxy token (ERC20) with DEXes straightforward.
Polkadot on the other hand is a bundle of independent blockchains (paralel chains or parachains) that provides very little functionality aside from the interoperability of blockchains, custom solutions are therefore necessary.
While Polkadot is a step towards stronger decentralization, there is still a need for governance system. As per the whitepaper, a token holder governance solution is proposed consisting of common users and a smaller high-tech commitee of major players.
The protocol functionality in Polkadot is taken care of by designated agents - collators, fishermen, nominators and validators - who are rewarded for their maintenance work.
While the Polkadot solution is technically more innovative, for simple value transfers it seems to be an overkill.
As far as mainstream and business adoption of blockchain is concerned, the Universal Protocol is more attractive due to its user friendly nature. Last but not least, Uphold, a member of the UP Alliance, offers $25MM of first-loss assurance to users in the event of hacking or theft.
Universal Protocol Alliance: Token Promotion & Results
The Proxy token development is currently at the stage of a concept.
The Business Intelligence for Universal Protocol Alliance
Universal Protocol platform is a project of UP Alliance which is a co-operative alliance of blockchain tech and fintech companies.
The founding members of Universal Protocol Alliance are:
- Uphold – Founded in 2014, Uphold has over 850,000 users around the world and has traded over $3.5 billion on its digital money platform and reserve ledger.
- Cred (formerly known as Libra Credit) – Founded in 2018 by a group of former PayPal executives, Cred has introduced a revolutionary lending protocol and platform for digital assets.
- Blockchain at Berkeley – An academic organization at University of California, Berkeley, that provides educational resources, consultancy, and R&D to some of the biggest blockchain projects in the world.
The core leadership team of UP Platform consists industry experts and key Uphold personalities:
- Dan Schatt, co-founder at CRED, board of directors at Uphold Inc
- JuanPablo Thieriot, vice chairman at Uphold Inc
- Tiago Ribeiro, chief engineer at Uphold Inc
- Rui Marinho, head of core engineering at Uphold
- Francesco Matteini, fintech compliance and operations
- Simon McLoughlin, director of Uphold Europe Ltd
- Pavel Paramonov, co-founder of Ternary Intelligence, where he developed a proprietary market instability detection methodology
Chief executives from Uphold, Brave Software, GlobalID and CRED form the Universal Protocol Platform Advisory Board.
- Uphold on Crunchbase
- Brave Software on Crunchbase
- CRED (Libra Credit) on Crunchbase
- Blockchain at Berkeley on Crunchbase
Investing in Universal Protocol Alliance
So far the Universal Protocol Platform has been raising funds through private investments only.
- Universal Protocol - new platform for practical interoperability of blockchains - gets backing of capital asset management firms
The leading investors are capital asset management firms, which corresponds to the sort of businesses that may be directly interested in the solution that UPP provides:
Documents archived for Universal Protocol Alliance
More & Better:
Email alerts (2-3 a week)
- Opinions, Analyses & Interviews
- Industry News Releases
- Blockchain Tech Intelligence
Data is beautiful
Blockchain Technology in Mobile App Market: State of the Industry 2020
Blockchain is currently at the top among the new trending technologies that came up in recent years. It is a remarkable innovation for our ever more digitalised world. Blockchain is mostly known as decentralized network,...
New Horizons in Fintech: Payments, Big Data and Partnerships [Infographic]
The global fintech market saw a period of consolidation in 2018, which is exactly what we saw also in terms of price evaluation of crypto assets. In spite of the “crypto winter”, which is apparently...
Brand development in forex and crypto: Most expensive domain names [Infographic]
Crypto infographics - Most expensive domain names in forex and crypto. Targeted brand development in forex and crypto with domain names.
Top 8 Women in Blockchain Tech [Infographic]
When it comes to women in crypto, the pre-2016 OG heads will probably come up with names like Alena Vranova and Blythe Masters. Alena Vranova is the former CEO of Satoshi Labs, the company that...
Infographic: Blockchain Technology, Ledgers, Blocks and the Role of Price
Blockchain technology 101: What is blockchain, what types of blockchains exist and what role does the cryptocurrency price play.
Infographic: The Good And The Bad Of ICOs
Infographic: The good and bad of ICOs - Which token sales raised the most money in 2018?
The Business of Esports: All The Numbers [Infographic]
Esports is a rapidly emerging category as a real sport. It’s even beginning to compete with traditional sports.
Shocking Facts About Cryptocurrency Heists [Infographic]
If there is one question in the history of Bitcoin that cannot be answered with anything more than an estimate, it is the problem of how much of Bitcoin’s supply is actually ever available on...
Comparing Forex Market with Crypto Markets [Infographic]
One of the few metrics that cryptocurrency markets have in common with the forex markets in 2018 is the high percentage of total trades being located on few most popular markets.
East vs. West: Which One Sides More With Blockchain?
Digital cash schemes were the holy grail of the late 90s, but since the bitcoin blockchain was invented, suddenly nobody in the West cares.
Blockchain Consortium in Trade Finance: 6 Notable Networks [Infographic]
The success of trade finance blockchain implementations depends on how widely they are adopted. That's why we have seen businesses form consortia based on similar interests.
Real-world companies that accept crypto payments [Infographic]
Infographic - Graphic map of businesses that let customers pay in bitcoin.
Infographic: Blockchain Hacks & Crypto Trading Platform heists 2018 vs 2017
Blockchain infographic comparing the biggest crypto heists of 2018 and 2017. In 2017 the focus lied more on ICOs, smart contracts and wallet.
15 crypto kings that are making history with their engagement in the field of cryptocurrencies
Coining The Bucks With Cryptocurrencies Have you ever wondered how much masters of the cryptocurrencies are worth? Like the guy who founded Ethereum, or the one who started Ripple, for example. The answer, in short,...
Industry News Releases
LocalCryptos, the non-custodial p2p platform, added a crypto-to-crypto exchange feature
LocalCryptos, formerly known as LocalEthereum, is currently the most popular non-custodial p2p market for cryptocurrencies....Read >>
- Montenegro to embrace blockchain technology in efforts to join the EU
- The Global Hackaton (April, Los Angeles) comes with free tickets to Crypto Invest Summit
- Etheremon celebrating #ChineseNewYear2019 with a series of bounties (Ends 8:00 AM UTC on Feb 11th)
- Crypto Marble dApp Game: Monopoly on Blockchain
- The dApp gaming platform VX Network launched the official VX Wallet in Apple App Store and Google Play
- Etheremon's first Chinese New Year Campaign: Chance to recall two rare mons